Sometimes while dealing with our almost 6 year old daughter, my hubby and I joke..thank god the twins are boys! Seriously…3 girls..that would have been some scary stuff..but having 2 boys..2 TODDLER boys..is that really any less scary? I think not. Rather male or female, raising any child is a challenge…here is a list of things I have found out about having 2 baby boys.
1. You absolutely can not change a poopy diaper on one brother without the other becoming instantly enthralled with what your doing. If it was simple a pee diaper..well that is of no interest, however. .poop!? Well..suddenly what your trying to accomplish goes from a simple diaper change to something akin to holding down a 30 lb wild salmon with one arm and fending off an octopus with the other. This is where your feet and elbows become invaluable tools in the process as they can be used to hold down the diaper victim and ward off the inquisitive brother.
2. You will find your self shouting penis related things you never imagined earlier in your life you would ever have to say.. Things like “Let go of your brothers weiner!!” (Usually multiple times a day) or “Don’t try to wrap it around the ducky!” “Get off your brothers balls! ” “Don’t stretch it out like that!” And..if your really lucky your daughter will observe you doing a change and remark..”hey look, its standing up!” While all you can do is pray she doesn’t ask you why.
* Side note…as I sit on the deck with my sons and write this Mr. L strolles over butt naked and dropes his diaper in my lap..thanks dude..its pants for you next time. Be careful on your tricycle! Don’t get that caught.
3. Even though mine are only currently 16 months old they already fight over everything…giving me and their father a glimpse into our future. I can only hope they never like the same girl..but they will because they always want what the other has!
* Another side note..naked Mr.L has now peed on the deck and is mopping it up with his sock.
4. Everything must be baby proofed!! And even then..good luck with it actually working. With my daughter I don’t remember baby proofing anything besides moving a few dangerous things out of her reach. With my boys everything is locked down..most of it with duct tape. The little latch things to keep cupboards shut..they rip them off in a blink of an eye..the plug protectors..they have mastered the art of pulling them out. Duct tape..where would we be without you!?
5. They eat..and eat..and eat.. I have found out that one 16 month old boy can and will eat as much as his 5.5 year old sister..two 16 month old boys…well..you get what I am saying. I am constantly at the grocery store..and every time I go I buy at least two bunches of bananas, the biggest bunches (which the boys often try to devour green while in the shopping cart. ) The cashiers probably think I have pet monkies..nope..well not the hairy kind anyway!
6. I have never laughed and smillied more then I have since my family became complete with those two little rascals. Watching my 3 babies play together, or the boys run down the hall in glee to great their sister in the morning, makes all the shower less, stressful, sometimes seemingly endless days worth it. That..and wine..thank god for wine!